Friday, December 18, 2009

Decorative Towels...Yay or Nay?


(first floor guest bathroom)

A great deal of the interior design of our home has been mostly my decision. I love that about my partner Dan. He has quite a bit of faith in my design decisions. Nevertheless, I do not go forward with a decorating or design project without his opinion. There have been times where we don't see eye to eye on how to interpret a certain look. If he's somewhat reserve or neutral on an idea that I'm certain about, I'll chalk it up as Dan just experiencing a creative block and go forward with my vision. But, when he strongly disagrees with a design idea of mine, then I'll defer to his objection.

I do admit that I have an over the top imagination which can sometimes get carried away. Dan is my lineman. His job is to make sure I don't stray too far and make the design overdone. I wonder if Dan is right in the case of the "decorative towels". He is of the opinion that decorative towels are as out dated as those toilet seat covers that match the bath room rugs. He argues that they don't have function because we don't use them and it just looks too staged. Right next to the sink we offer decorated disposable towels for our guests to discourage them from using the decorative towels. It makes perfect design sense to me. The first photo above is of our first floor bathroom which also has a shower that is never used. However, the fact that the shower exists, I felt complete towel sets belonged there even though they aren't intended for actual use. Have I gone too far? Am stuck in a time warp? Does anyone out there still love decorative hand towels as much as me? Or is it time I replace them with usable towels?

12 comments:

columnist said...

I agree with Dan!

Linda Q said...

Well I could say either way. I have always had usable towels and I would love to have some fancier ones. I can see his point though.
Linda

The Elegant Thrifter said...

I'm sort of in the middle. I would say that your bathroom is already filled with texture, so If you could just replace the towels with the flowers on them with a solid or more subtle design, you might be able to find a suitable compromise.

Stan

Trez said...

I say leave them! It's the finishing touch!

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

I remember when I was a child, my mother had guest towels out that were absolutely not-under-any-circumstances-under-threats-of-instant-death to be used...not even by guests.

I understand why you like the towels - they are really lovely - and all that tassel fringe is a real touch of lavish excess.

But it would make me absolutely crazy not to be able to use the towels LOL.

You know I'm a huge fan of your designs sense, but, I gotta go with Dan on this one LOL.

MaryBeth said...

You definitely need towels but the very decorative ones just don't do it for me. Every once in a while you will get a person who uses them and then just try to wash a towel with all that fringe, forget about it, they are ruined. MB

ArchitectDesign™ said...

I don't mind 'decorative' towels as long as they are used. I just have images of someone's great aunt and 'decorative soaps' that were not meant to be used! ha. I think it's the practical architect in me.

Bill said...

Julio, I can honestly say I think both you and Dan are right. It probably DOES look staged, but I happen to like that opulent feeling you've created in your beautiful bathroom. If you switch to something too "use-able," it might look like a hotel bath (of a very NICE hotel).

OK, I'm saying this as someone who has beaded, fringed towels (displayed) in the bathroom I use on a daily basis. Perhaps it's a good time for us both to go shopping for towels that are thick, beautiful, soft ... and ... here goes ... easy care.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Hi Julio...ummm, this is a tough one. What would you hang there if you didn't have the beautiful towels? I think you'd have to just remove the towel bar entirely.
Everything seems to cycle through...in 5 years, it will be all the rage to have the "don't touch" towels and the toilet seat covers again. LOL
In my guest bath, I just have the nice, heavy, monogrammed hand towels from Needless Markups lying on the counter by the sink. I buy them when they are on sale with free monogramming and free shipping. Then when I have a party or guests over, I also put out the decorative, disposable ones...which are really just glorified paper towels. ;-) That way guest are able to use which ever they prefer. Folks seem to use both. I actually had a male guest once thank me for having the disposable ones out. Ummm, don't think I was much help. LOL
Susan

Julio said...

Thank you all for taking the time to offer your input. It seems Dan has a very strong point about the towels. I will just have to figure out a good compromise...perhaps usable decorative towels? yikes. Thanks again and happy holidays to you all.

said...

色情影片杜雷斯成人正妹交友網成人動畫貓樓情色推薦站交友聊天室Sex543情色活動網成人文學哇推優質好站ut男同志聊天室科技人網站評論家dodo豆豆聊天室視訊聊天室777成人區成人視訊免費視訊kiss911貼圖片區成人視訊成人聊天室6k聊天室

amy said...

AV,無碼,a片免費看,自拍貼圖,伊莉,微風論壇,成人聊天室,成人電影,成人文學,成人貼圖區,成人網站,一葉情貼圖片區,色情漫畫,言情小說,情色論壇,臺灣情色網,色情影片,色情,成人影城,080視訊聊天室,a片,A漫,h漫,麗的色遊戲,同志色教館,AV女優,SEX,咆哮小老鼠,85cc免費影片,正妹牆,ut聊天室,豆豆聊天室,聊天室,情色小說,aio,成人,微風成人,做愛,成人貼圖,18成人,嘟嘟成人網,aio交友愛情館,情色文學,色情小說,色情網站,情色,A片下載,嘟嘟情人色網,成人影片,成人圖片,成人文章,成人小說,成人漫畫,視訊聊天室,性愛,a片,AV女優,聊天室,情色