Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Six In The City....San Francisco


Welcome to my table setting contribution to this week's Tablescape Thursdays which is hosted by Susan of Between Naps On The Porch.

Please visit BNOTP for more creative and unique table arrangements submitted by her readers and subscribers.

The location for this mocked (but at least with real flowers ;-) ) table setting for a party of 6 is on the balcony of the San Francisco 2 bedroom condo we're currently renting for the duration of my partner Dan's twin sister Dana's hospitalization at the UCSF Medical Center.


Since the time Dana was first admitted back on March 8th of this year, she has been doing and is continuing to progress remarkably well.

Both her physical and speech therapy show great improvement each week. Thank you to those that continue to keep her in your thoughts and prayers.

The beautiful china in this setting belong to the condominium owners.
The collection is Viana by Vista Alegre, a porcelain manufacturer located in Portugal.

Awhile back I created another tablescape inside the condo but with dishes purchased from a nearby Ross store that I thought (or, perhaps I'm just unwilling to admit I couldn't figure out how to successfully incorporate this traditional classic pattern into the condo's very contemporary decor) would complement the contemporary space better.

I like this set quite a bit and its vibrant blue & yellow colors on the crisp white porcelain backdrop inspired me to arrange them outside on the balcony.

The silver gray tablecloth is actually a pair of the homeowner's drapery panels I borrowed from one of the bedrooms(yes, I often have behind the scenes improvisations) Hopefully, if they (homeowners) come across this post they wont be unhappy about my use of their window coverings.


Of course, this was a mocked setting so actual food and beverages never made it to the table.

My only personal addition to the table was the blue runner I picked up from the nearby Supermarket for $2.75 and the Hydrangeas & miniature mums from Costco for $18.00.

Because I underestimated the amount of flowers I actually needed, I ended up picking apart the few hydrangeas I had to help conceal the floral foam.

The porcelain tureen used for the floral centerpiece is by Lynn Chase Designs.

It's from the Costa Azzurra collection.








Well, that's it for this submission for Tablescape Thursdays. I hope you enjoyed the photos and thank you for stopping by. Please don't forget to stop by Between Naps On The Porch for more table settings.






30 comments:

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

Good to see you show up in my blog roll today!

Lovely al fresco tablescape - I really like the tureen in the center - and your arrangements are so sweet...I love tight compact small bouquets.

Glad to hear Dana's making the journey to recovery.

Be sure to pinch that cute boy's cheek for me!

Anonymous said...

This is very elegant. I love the gray mixed in with the blue and yellow. Very soothing. Beautiful.

vignette design said...

Julio,
First of all: so glad your Dana is continuing to improve. I think about her often....
This al fresco tablescape is just exquisite, but I wouldn't expect anything less from you! I've never seen those dishes. They're just beautiful and your arrangements are gorgeous. I would love to have that outdoor space in the City. Someday. We will sell our home on the Peninsula and move to the City.
Take care! xoxo Delores

D.B. said...

Beautiful! It's nice to lose yourself in such a project during this time. You are all in my thoughts. I enjoy your blog.

Dana, married to a Dan.

Allie and Pattie said...

Gorgeous table and so glad Dana is doing well. She'll remain in my prayers. LOVE that china and your use of gray
xoxo Pattie

Johanna said...

Perfect in setting, arrangement and creativity. I love the dishes as much as the "tablecloth". The flowers look in the sunshine so bright. A ery festive and elegant tablescapes. I wish Dana and your the very best.
Greetings, Johanna

Mimi said...

Very elegant table, Julio...love the blue and yellow. The tureen is gorgeous!
Good to hear Dana continues to improve.

Tricia said...

How gorgeous! So elegant and modern, and the centerpieces are just lovely! What beautiful china -- a new pattern to me. It looks wonderful on the gray backdrop!

dee dee said...

What a beautiful classic tablescape! Your center pieces are stunning and really make the table complete!
Dee Dee

once in a blue moon... said...

talk about gorgeous! blue and yel is a personal fav, and such pretty dishes and flowers~

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

So very beautiful. The blue and yellow are so elegant a perfectly lovely. I hope that Dana will continue to recover nicely.

Jeannine said...

Lovely table. It looks so inviting with the hydranga and lovely yellows. I hardly ever actually use the tables I set up. they sit around collecting dust until I put them away at the end of the week. Thanks for sharing your table.

Beth said...

Julio, This is a fabulous table! I love your china and the centerpiece. So very elegant! So glad Dana is getting better and that the two of you are there to support her.
Blessings, Beth

Sherry said...

This is a lovely table. You did a great job with it. Glad to hear Dana is getting better. Loved your funny comments.

Maryrose said...

Hi Julio,
Great table, it has a classy elegance but on the casual side which just says please join me for dinner. I love your table.
Maryrose

Enzie Shahmiri * Portrait Artist said...

I love how the yellows and blues play against each other on top of the grey table cloth. A beautiful table arrangement.

Lana said...

Fab pun and even more fabulous tablescape! That blue is so fresh to me today! And the flowers are sublime!
Hugs, Lana

Carol at Serendipity said...

What a beautiful table. I love the dishes. The flowers are gorgeous. I think this is the first time I have visited your blog. It is elegant.

Carol

Rettabug said...

This had to do your soul good, Julio, to be able to "play with the dishes" while caring for your guys & worrying over Dana, as well. *knee-mails* continue! I'm relieved to hear she is recovering so well. Too young to have to deal with such stuff!!!

I admire your ingenious use of the draperies (shhhh....I won't tell) as well as the bold stripe of color down the center. It picks up the blue in those beautiful dishes & anchors the whole scene wonderfully.
I've missed your tablescapes & I'm glad you had a chance to use your creative juices this week. Well done!

Mary said...

Oh my goodness, how LOVELY!!!

ArchitectDesign™ said...

very pretty :-) I'm glad you said it was 'mocked'; Too often these tablescapes are CLEARLY staged and not meant to be used and the architect in me cringes at that fakery! This however could easily and joyfully be used (well, with the drapery owner's permission of course!)

Lori @ In Pursuit of Martha Points said...

That's just stunning. And I love the way you oriented the napkins. I did that with the placemats once and the husband freaked out. "People will pull plates into their laps!"

"No they won't," said I.

But he was too anxious, so I switched it. That's how much I love him.

Kelly Bookend Diaries said...

Wonderful tablescape. I love the color combination.
Kelly Bookend Diaries

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Very elegant! I love blue and yellow together...those dishes are just beautiful.
I'm really enjoying your blog!

Miss Merry said...

The blue and yellow dishes are just lovely for a spring afternoon. And the flowers add such an elegant touch to the table. You are so creative and imaginative in using what you have to create such a masterpiece.

Good luck to Dana and thank you for sharing.

Niki said...

Your tablescape is absolutely beautiful! Blue and Yellow are favorites of mine. As a matter of fact, my post this week was blue and yellow too. The dishes, tureen & Gray "linens" were beautiful. How industrious you are! Thanks for sharing!!

The Antiques Diva™ said...

Splendid... absolutely divine!

scribbler-unfocused said...

You pulled it off, as usual -- it looks clean and modern. I have loved those dishes for years, but never acquired them. My tastes are more traditional and modern, but I always appreciate a new twist on the expected.

So glad Dana is improving. Sounds like it has been a rough road.

Scribbler

xinex said...

So beautiful and elegant, Julio! I love the dinnerware, pretty colors that go so well with the flowers...Christine

Janie's World said...

Well, I think it has all been said, but I will repeat... Gorgeous and lovely al fresco tablescape. I'm really impressed with your flower arranging skills. I just don't possess that skill at all. Love the color combo and the flowers were to die for!

Wonderful news about Dana. Prayers are being answered!