Saturday, April 10, 2010

Vibram Five Fingers....The Foot Glove


I'm writing this from an 8th floor waiting room at the UCSF hospital as the nursing staff attend to Dan's twin sister Dana. I found a February 2010 Time magazine with an article about the Vibram Five Fingers, a rubber foot glove.

Since first spotting a pair of these on the streets of San Francisco about 3 weeks ago, I cannot seem to go anywhere these days without seeing or reading about these gloves.

I ran into a neighbor walking the park with pair a week and a half ago. She just loves them. A student of Dan's showed up to class wearing a pair a week ago who says they are great for sports.

According to the Times article, the Tarahumara Indians of Mexico run ultra marathons barefoot or very thin rubber sandals. Apparently, this is their endorsement of this new glove sensation.

I will have to stop by a nearby REI store to try on a pair which costs from $85.00 to $110.00.

P.S. Dana is making remarkable progress. Last week she was moved from the ICU to the facility's step down unit and is currently undergoing physical therapy. A heartfelt thank you to everyone for your continued support and prayers.

10 comments:

MaryBeth said...

My mom and I were talking about these shoes just yesterday. I will have to forward her the link.
As for Dana, I am so glad to hear she is improving. I will keep prayer for all of you. MB

D.B. said...

I'm so glad to hear Dana is making progress. Very much love to you all!

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

What a surprise - I was just mentioning earlier today that we have to get into NYC to get a pair for me. They seem to be perfect for studio work! They aren't available here in New Haven, so we'll have to go to the BIG city LOL.

Very good to hear that Dana is continuing to move forward.

Tweak the cute li'l American's cheek for me!

Bill said...

Hi Julio,
I'm almost afraid to try on a pair! What if I could never go back to regular shoes? How do you think they'd look with formal wear? ;)

I was so pleased to hear that Dana's condition has improved. I hope the physical therapy is going well.

Warm hugs to you and yours ...
Bill

niartist said...

JULIO! I LOVE YOU! I've been wondering what these were. I have seen then no fewer than 10 times, and just never had the time to ask the person I saw wearing them what they were. Now I know! :) Thank you Thank you THANK YOU! Changes to the garden are posted, hope you can stop by and take a peak when you get the chance! :) Take care! A

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Hi Julio! I am sooo happy to hear Dana is making progress! With such a loving supportive family I know she is going to fight her way back and get stronger every day. Will be keeping her in my prayers!

Those shoes are wild! I'm not so sure I like them. Why do they make me think of Shrek feet? LOL
Susan

Sabina said...

Julio, these are too much!! I will have to check them out.

Warm wishes your way!!

vignette design said...

I have never seen these shoes! Hey, so glad Dana is improving. So glad about that. You all are still in my prayers.

Paris Atelier said...

Hi My Dear Julio,
I have been keeping you and your family in my thoughts and my prayers everyday. I am so happy to hear that Dana is doing better and making great steps in her recovery. My heart truly goes out to you and family. I wish you well and hope that you are holding up alright. Thinking of you!
xoxo
Judith~

graham said...

In Fairness i have about 20 pairs of the Five Fingers all models and colors haha! And it is safe to say i do not like wearing other shoes...check out my site www.fitfeet.ie :-)