Friday, April 2, 2010

An Inexpensive IKEA For A Room Makeover With Help From Martha


Several weeks ago, I started a weekend room makeover project which I haven't had a chance to photograph and share on my blog until now. This is an upstairs spare room that has served as our guest bedroom. Unfortunately, we usually only have guests spend a night or 2 maybe 3 times a year. So, naturally, I thought it made sense to redo the room to allow for daily use as well as continue to offer overnight accommodations for guests.

I got rid of the 4 poster queen size bed and replaced it with an IKEA sofa bed. We kept the Tempur-pedic mattress overlay for added comfort to the new sofa bed.

The child's chairs and coffee table were purchased from IKEA as well. The outdoor area rug from Ballard Designs is perfect for standing up to messy spills made during playtime.

The blackboard easel is yet another IKEA find. The storage benches are from the Martha Stewart Living Collection for Home Depot. I thought they were a great bargain at $68.87 each which included the cushion. The canvas storage bins were sold separately with up to 16 great color choices at $6.87 each. There are plenty of wicker boxes and storage bins in the room for all of little Daniel's toys.

The Little American's cooking corner also from IKEA.

Because this was also a spare guest room, I made an effort to minimize the numerous bold colors typically found in children s play rooms. Instead I opted for a more selected and coordinated color palette that I thought would appeal to guests of all ages.

Have a happy Easter holiday weekend!


7 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

Great use of the space! I firmly believe that we should use all of our homes and you created a space that can easily serve both functions and with style!
xoxo Pattie

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

That looks terrific! Good job.

My entire studio was built from IKEA furniture. I think there is only one piece in the entire place that isn't from there LOL. And my work counter looks one heckuva lot like the little American's kitchen!

He must love having a special playroom!

Paris Atelier said...

Bonjour Julio! That is gorgeous!!! I love the colors and the storage! I'm sending Justin over to play right now! A dream playroom for your little dream come true. Your little American is a lucky boy!!
xoxo
Judith~

Visual Vamp said...

Beautiful transformation!
I would love to be a guest and play with Daniel's toys too!
Have a wonderful Easter!
xo xo

Sanity Fair said...

Very chic - lucky kids and guests! That rug makes the room. Kind of unexpected, and really charming. Big surprise on those Martha Stewart "window seat/bins" - really cool!

Bill said...

Great makeover, Julio! The neutral colors are calming, and you've made excellent use of the space. You've given the room a high-end look, while keeping costs amazingly low. This is definitely a magazine-worthy post! Nicely done.

Regards,
Bill

niartist said...

LOVE IT! :)