Tuesday, May 4, 2010

A Great Craigslist Find


A couple of weeks ago I was very fortunate to come across a local Craigslist ad for 8 traditional style dining chairs at $10.00 each. The chairs are actually a reproduction of the Adam shield back chair. They were in very bad condition because, as the previous owner indicated, they were used by a her 4 large sons who all played football through high school. Despite their condition, I purchased the set since we have Remarkable Refinishing in town that can pretty much fix anything. Mark, at Remarkable Refinishing, has worked on several furniture repairs and refinishing for me throughout the years and does outstanding work. The 2 in this photo are the only 2 that were usable.

I first sanded the original mahogany finish then painted them with a flat gray to resemble the oxidized weathered look you see in teak wood which I love. My next step is to embellish some of the details such as the urn and laurel leaves with gold leafing. The ivory cotton fabric was from a bolt of remnant that I applied to the chairs for now until I can afford a nicer fabric. I really like the color of the fabric but think a tone on tone pattern would look nicer.

(from Wikipedia)
Robert Adam (3 July 17283 March 1792) was a Scottish neoclassical architect, interior designer and furniture designer. He was the son of William Adam (1689–1748), Scotland's foremost architect of the time, and trained under him. With his older brother John, Robert took on the family business, which included lucrative work for the Board of Ordnance, after William's death.

In 1754 he left for Rome, spending nearly five years on the continent studying architecture under Charles-Louis Clérisseau and Giovanni Battista Piranesi. On his return to Britain he established a practice in London, where he was joined by his younger brother James. Here he developed the "Adam Style", and his theory of "movement" in architecture, based on his studies of antiquity and became one of the most successful and fashionable architects in the country. Adam held the post of Architect of the Kings Works from 1761 to 1769.

Robert Adam was leader of the first phase of the classical revival in England and Scotland from around 1760 until his death.[2] He influenced the development of Western architecture, both in Europe and in North America. Adam was not content with providing houses for his clients but very ready to design the fittings and accessories as well.

[Continued on wikipedia)

10 comments:

Paris Atelier said...

Gorgeous Julio!!! I love the color you chose :) Best to you my friend. I hope all is well and that things are looking up for the family.
xoxo
Judith

Allie and Pattie said...

Fabulous color! I love it
xoxo pattie

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

what a find! I'm pea-green!

This is second Craig's List motherlode I've read about today. I really must start looking there. I've only been to Craig's List once - when it first started.

Although, I can't imagine anybody in New Haven having anything I want LOL.

Looking forward to seeing the completed refurbishing!

vignette design said...

Julio,
What a great find. I love Craig's list! Sorry only two were useable though. Love what you did with them, the grey is perfect. They look wonderful along side your gorgeous fireplace. Be sure to show us the final reveal with the fabric and gold leafing! hugs, Delores

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

Beautiful chairs! And a GREAT price too! What a find!

Rettabug said...

Well done, Julio! They do have such wonderful classic lines to them.
I'm going to check Craigs list right now!!
(Prayers continue for Dana)♥

lyptis said...

Love those chairs, they turned out amazing!

Swanbergs Stories said...

JULIO, YOU REALLY ARE AMAZING, I LOVE THE SETTING IN THE PARK...LETS GO TO MUSIC IN THE PARK TOGETHER, I WILL BRING LOTS OF GREAT FOOD AND WINE IF YOU BRING THE BABE ( THAT WOULD BE BABY DANIEL) SEE YOU SOON, TABLE SCAPES IS FUN...

Swanbergs Stories said...

jULIO, I DO NOT HAVE YOUR REGULAR EMAIL BUT I NEED TO TALK TO YOU ABOUT ME DOING A BLOG...I WOULD LOVE TO DO ONE WITHOUT NAMING NAMES BUT I WOULD NOT WANT ALL THE FAMILIES TO KNOW...TONIGHT I NANNIED FOR LUCIA (23MONTHS) SHE DOES SIGN LANGUAGE AND IS SO SMART , LIKE DANIEL, I JUST WANTED TO TELL THE WORLD ABOUTTHESE GREAT GIFTS OF NATURE...AND I AM SO BLESSED TO BE PART OF THEIR LIVES, TALK TO YOU SOON , MIMI

FABBY'S LIVING said...

Julio...I'm your newest follower! I love your blog. I got into it because I saw you making a comment on
talented Bill's latest table. You're very talented too I love the colour you chose. What a find... I love them by your elegant fire place. So nice meeting you, hope to be virtual blog friends. Thank you for sharing.

FABBY