Thursday, July 8, 2010

Target Bids Auf Wiedersehen To It's Garden Center


I've always enjoyed my local Target store's garden section because I found it very shopper friendly and manageable. Unfortunately, the company announced it will be closing all of their garden centers to expand its groceries distribution. Although there is an enormous nursery very close to my home, for the fair weather gardener like me, it is too overwhelming. Target is the right size with the perfect selection and the right price. Oh well, there's always the Home Depot or Lowes garden.

Groceries are in, gardening out at Target
by:
Sandra Pedicini, Orlando Sentinel

The Minneapolis-based discounter known for trendy clothes and stylish home decor now is beefing up its stores' supermarket aisles. Target is adding meat, fresh fruits and vegetables, and packaged baked goods such as pies.

Target Corp. says it's feeding the demands of its customers, who want increased convenience.

The chain plans to spend $1 billion on remodeling 340 of its stores this year.

Other changes will take place as well. Beauty sections get a makeover with softer lighting and curved fixtures. The home sections will display decor in a way that allows shoppers to more easily envision them in their homes.

Meanwhile, Target is phasing out all its garden sections, planning to get rid of them by September. It says the garden areas are no longer profitable. A few gardening items will still be sold in other areas of the stores.

Target for a long time has offered basics such as macaroni and cheese and soda. It also has its own food brands, including Archer Farms and Market Pantry, for everything from eggs to maple syrup.

Adding meat, fruits and vegetables will lure existing customers into the store more frequently, said Mark Hamstra, an editor at Supermarket News. "They don't need new clothes from Target once or twice a week," he said.

[Complete Story]


4 comments:

Paris Atelier said...

Hi Julio,
Okay, I'm not gonna lie...I love the idea that they are expanding the grocery selection. It will save me from making two trip and the prices are always better. I am sad that the garden center is being phased out though :( I love the changes they are planning.
Have a great weekend and thanks for the news!
xoxo
Judith
~So glad to hear Dana is doing better and staying with you You guys are in my prayers every night :)

Paris Atelier said...

Hi Julio,
Okay, I'm not gonna lie...I love the idea that they are expanding the grocery selection. It will save me from making two trip and the prices are always better. I am sad that the garden center is being phased out though :( I love the changes they are planning.
Have a great weekend and thanks for the news!
xoxo
Judith
~So glad to hear Dana is doing better and staying with you You guys are in my prayers every night :)

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Oh...thats a tad disappointing. I mean -they're fabulous TAR-JAY! Why can't we have groceries and plants? Horrid walmart has both AND an auto center. So unfair :-(
I LOVED their smith & hawkin collection.

Janie's World said...

Hi Julio,

Too bad Target is phasing out the garden center. I too loved to pick up a plant or two here and there. I especially liked to exit through the garden center, paying at the their checkstand. No one ever in line!