Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Déjeuner pour deux dans un cadre provençal


Greetings and welcome to my tablescape contribution to Tablescape Thursdays hosted by Susan at Between Naps On The Porch.

I am also announcing my first give-a-way to readers that offers a chance to win one or more subscription(s) to your favorite magazine(s). Click here for further details and on how to enter.


The beautiful backdrop is the front entrance to the house of our neighbors Nancy and Heino. The home's impressive 4 foot tall stucco wall with custom iron scroll work was designed by Nancy.

She hired Adolf, a native German craftsman to use the old world technique of heating and forging iron by hand.

The vine covered walls are atmospheric in the sense they remind me of the entrances to homes in France, Italy and Napa.

Nancy and Heino used salvaged vintage bricks to capture an old world look. Nancy designed the intricate pattern for the brickwork.


Patterned table linen by April Cornell.


Sterling Flatware by Barton & Reed-Francis I

Lunch plate by Gorham- Lady Anne Signature Gold pattern. Salad bowl by Royal Scotland.

Here is a view of the scroll work on the front gate.

Clearly, Nancy gave great thought to every detail and researched all her options to ensure originality and quality.

The decanters are by Waterford. The colored jewel shaped glass toppers on the decanters were purchased separately from an unlikely place....the gift shop at UCSF Medical Center in San Francisco, California (I was relieving stress with some shopping therapy while visiting Dan's sister in the hospital)

Dan was a tiny bit upset that I could even think about shopping, let alone in the hospital gift shop for myself and not the patient.

I defended myself by pointing out they were 40% off.

Byron, a Jack Russel Terrier, watches in confusion as his neighbor sets a table in front of his gate blocking the view.


An aerial view of the table.


The alstroemeria flowers were arranged on top a mini cake compote plate.

I used grapes with green and gold miniature pears as delicious embellishments to the floral centerpiece.

Crystal Stemware by Ralph Lauren-Garland


The yellow gold upholstered chairs are from Dan's office.



Finally, the homeowners beautiful custom wood doors to the backyard.

slideshow of tablesetting with inspirational images courtesy of thundafunda.com and music by Raquel Bitton.

Thank you for stopping by and don't forget to enter for a chance to win 1 of 3 give-a-way prizes. Just click on the Little American's image on the right for simple details.


Also, please be sure and visit Between Naps On The Porch's Tablescape Thursdays to view more creative and unique table settings.

31 comments:

D.B. said...

This is so gorgeous!!! You are why I no longer participate in Tablescape Thursday. Beautiful, beautiful, BEAUTIFUL!

vignette design said...

Just stunning Julio! All I can say is that you know how to set a table--and I thought I could, but you put me to shame! Love the video too. Your corner of Haight seems much more genteel than Ashley's (daughter)! Love that iron work and the wooden gate. Love the table cloth and gorgeous plates.

Bill said...

Fantastique, Julio! I expected Louis XIV and Marie-Antoinette to be sitting in the beautiful chairs as I scrolled downward. You've created a setting that's suitable for the Sun King and his Queen! It glows with a wonderful golden light.

The fence, the gates, the china, the Waterford decanters -- all absolute perfection! Frances I ... probably my favorite sterling pattern. I won't covet since I like you so much ...

I will not covet ... I will not covet ... I will not covet

Warmest regards,
Bill

Happier Than a Pig in Mud said...

This is amazingly beautiful, can only say thanks for sharing!

Jeanette said...

Incredible! Every item is sheer perfection. Just stunning.

marlis said...

absolutely beautiful. I love how the colors of the table blend with the outdoors. Love the backdrop too.. can we trade neighbors?? Just kidding.

Janie's World said...

Once again you have set the bar soooo high! Your taste in china and stemware is elegant and timeless. Your use of color is soothing, your choice of pattern and texture is perfection. I always look forward to your tables capes. Someday, when my children are all out of college, I'll be making a trip up to your next of the woods and steal you away for an afternoon of shopping. ( I could even provide a babysitter, although the Little American is learning daily from the best and would probably be a big help!)

The Inspired Nest said...

Perfection! It is so beyond words. I absolutely love the decantors! I am a new follower!

Beth said...

Julio, The setting is gorgeous. Love your table linens and your china. I really like your floral arrangment with the fruit as embellishments. Exquisite!
Beth

Mimi said...

That is a table that takes one's breath away! Just so beautiful...so much eye candy to absorb, from the AC tablecloth, to the china, the crystal, the silver, the ivied wall, the brickwork and even the cute little pup. I know I will check it out again in the morning to see what I have missed...

once in a blue moon... said...

oh that was great fun, gorgeous setting, loved loved loved it all! right down to the doggie~

Entertaining Women said...

I agree...I've found some great items in hospital gift shops...particularly Catholic hospitals for some reason. Your neighbors property is lovely, but your table would be gorgeous anyplace that you chose to set it! Great design. Cherry Kay

Bonnie said...

This is absolutely gorgeous! It looks like or better than Veranda magazine.

I am now a follower. My first time to your blog. How are you going to top this?

The Tablescaper said...

wow, wow, wow. Just stunning. I love the setting - it's gorgeous, but your table brings it to another level.

- The Tablescaper

Rettabug said...

Now how on earth could Dan begrudge you a little *retail therapy*?? ;-)


AWESOME setting for this SPECTACULAR tablescape, Julio!!

The sterling flatware is TDF & so are that gorgeous china. They look wonderfully glowing in that light & on April Cornell's beautiful tablecloth. PERFECTION!! BRAVO!!

Tricia@The Dull and the Dutiful said...

What a fabulous table -- and an amazing setting! I love the tablecloth, and you've highlighted it so beautifully with the perfect china, flowers, and fruit. Simply gorgeous! You know you can be an honorary Southerner since you have Francis I silver, right? Thanks for your comment on my table this week!

niartist said...

Julio - oh, I can't even begin to count the levels of envy I have over this! The floral is GORGEOUS with the layered pears, OMG! Who would have thought of this other than you!?!? STUNNING, and I'm totally going to take that as inspiration for something FIERCLY FABULOUS at CDLV. (Hope you don't mind!) :) Great inspiration today! Thanks for sharing. Stop by if you can! Artie

Johanna said...

Julio, this is again breathtaking. These colors of tablecloth (beautiful paatern), flowers and chairs between gold and green appear as everything is in the sunshine. Everything is just perfect in style and color. China, glasses and flatware are of course stunning. How lovely is this backdrop in front of the entrance to the house of your neighbors is Nancy and Heino. Nancy is so talented with her garden design. Very impressive! And how cute is Byron!
I hope, everything is o.k. again with Dan's sister. I remember the time, as you wrote about her time in hospital, but I missed any notice what happened then. Wish her the very best.
Greetings, Johanna

Barbara said...

Oh, my! This is just gorgeous! Each and every thing is elegant and perfect with all the rest. I love the colors, the setting, the gate work, the chairs, the cloth, well, I guess absolutely everything. This just glows!

Phyllis AROUND THE HOUSE said...

I can always count on your blog to have something just so beautiful..your photos are so pretty and inspiring, doesn't it just make you want to to to the south of france and grow grapes and taste wine, I am there in my mind with the help of the pictures and music, so inspiring thanks for the journey...come for a visit..

Atelier de Charo said...

Wonderful setting! All looks so gorgeous. Love your photos!

Charo

Sharlotte said...

Julio,
This is beautiful...from the setting to your table. What great neighbors and what a wonderful place to live. Their home is lovely and so is your table. I love all the colors, they blend perfectly. I alos love the crystal with the natural environment. Just lovely! Thanks for sharing.
Sharlotte

Entertaining Women said...

Julio, your generous comments made me day. Thank you! You obviously are blessed with an eye for detail. I look forward to sharing our journey down 'Tablescape Lane.' Cherry Kay

xinex said...

The setting for your tablescape is so beautiful, Julio. I can just imagine how gorgeous your neighbors' house looks like from this entry. I love the iron scrollwork. The table cloth is so pretty, love the olive colors. Everything is so elegant!...Christine

Laura said...

Oh my.
This is amazing.
I was floored.
It is simply gorgeous.
I am now a follower, and I will be back.

I linked to the same party.

Laura
White Spray Paint

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Julio...this is absolutely stunning! The greens and yellows...it feels enchanting. There's just something so intimate and cozy about a table for two, especially when it's set against such a lush backdrop. Those gates are really wonderful. Beautiful crystal, china...linens...love it all! The Little American is precious checking out Trad. Home. Just a little, bedtime reading. Too cute! ;-)
XO
Susan

Sweetladyelaine said...

Just beautiful! I know you had a lot of fun doing this table...I am just in awe! Thank you!

Jeannine said...

This is an absolutely gorgeous setting for a classic romantic table for two. I could get lost sitting in there for hours. Thanks for sharing.

bunny, The Paris House said...

Hi,
I can not even begin to tell you how much I love this post. I have even shared it with my 16 year old son who is studying photography. I love your colors and your neighbors have not missed a single detail in their designs. The gate is beautiful, I have been wanting to set a table near our iron gate and you have really motivated me to do so. The table settings are so elegant, this is truly one of the most beautiful posts I have yet to see anywhere!!
Bunny

My Ugly Garden said...

Lovely work. A cool respite from the July heat. Thank you for sharing your beautiful photographs.

à la parisienne said...

Julio,

This post is GORGEOUS!!!
I love the location and the colors! The arial view photo is my favorite!

You make the most beautiful tablescapes!

Mandy