Friday, July 23, 2010

Bulls Eye On The Big Apple...A Good Thing?


First, let me preface this post by stating my love for Target for its brilliant selection of trendy and quality merchandise. It truly is one of my favorite stores. However, I live in Sacramento, California. It is not a town with the same retail history of major cities like San Francisco and New York City that have specialty shops and department stores that are a vital part of their culture and sets them apart from suburbia. Today, there are still no Target or Walmart stores in my hometown of San Francisco. The nearest Target store is about 10 miles south in Daly City. Their absence is why many of the city's specialty stores continue to survive. I can't help but think Target's arrival in New York may be the demise of many retailers that contribute to the city's unique urban environment. This is a prediction I hope to be proven wrong. Time will tell.

Celebrities Swarm to First New York City Target Store

From Style Bistro
New York may be the center of the American fashion industry, but it doesn't have a Target—well, until now. Tar-jay, as it's fondly called, has opened its first Manhattan location, in East Harlem. StyleBistro guest editor Selita Ebanks, Gossip Girl Michelle Trachtenberg and comedian Jerry Seinfeld all flocked to the new store to scoop up limited-edition designer collaborations by Stephen Burrows and Isabel and Ruben Toledo.
[Complete Story]

2 comments:

Katie@LeBeauPaonVictorien said...

I had no idea! We have Targets all over the place here in the Midwest! You can't go three miles without tripping over one.
I love Target myself, but I'm with you; I'm sometimes sad for the days before everything was a chain,back when restaurants,retail stores, grocery stores and even gas stations, were independent businesses....like they were when I was a young girl. There seems to be something special lost now that everything is a chain.

Linda Q said...

I love alot of things I find at Target, I was there today in fact!
Linda