Sunday, February 15, 2009

Le Compotier


(blue and white footed reticulated compotes)

If there is one item that never seems to fail to catch my eye when I'm out and about window shopping or just surfing online for beautiful things it is a compotier aka compote. Anytime I see a compote, I'm automatically drawn to it.
Compotes are one of my favorite table adornments. They are a decadent serving ware. They make beautiful centerpieces or, when paired, spectacular anchors to a centerpiece. The blue and white pair(above & below)have been used to carry many things from hard candies to flatware at a buffet table.


(beautiful leaf wreath design)

They look beautiful with candy,nuts,fruit,flowers,pine cones,holiday ornaments,sea shells or even just by themselves. I especially love the reticulated designs with a basket weave pattern.


I found this pedestal compote on my local Craigslist. It
is one of my favorites for creating dramatic dining table
floral centerpieces.


The perfect height allows me to leave
the centerpiece on the table without obstructing the views
of the seated guests.


This is a picture taken of our 2008 Christmas dinner where
I used 2 silver compotes(1 showing at left) to anchor the centerpiece.
I cut a fresh floral oasis to fit perfectly in the bowl, then just
filled it with holiday greens and florals.



A perfectly beautiful use of a compote as
a vegetable dish by celebrity designer
Eddie Ross. (click eddie's name for details on this arrangement)


Another fabulous use of a stunning old Paris fine
porcelain compote created by Eddie Ross for
Thanksgiving 2008.

Following are a few more beautiful compotes found
online. Enjoy.


Dresden porcelain compote circa 1872


Circa 1870s English Opal Vitro(Milk glass) porcelain compotes




Minton (English) compotes. Circa 1860-1865


Bing & Grondahl empire white and blue circa 1969




Pair of circa 1909 silver compotes, octagonal stepped base,

dolphin shaft supports bowl above.




Circa 1880 Paris Compotes. Having a large basket over a shaped column

on a footed base with gilded edges with floral decorations.




Circa 1820 Paris porcelain compotes Marked Schoelcher et Fils.



Pair of Old Paris compotes circa 1820 partially painted and gilded






Gilded and painted porcelain compotes mounted in gilded bronze,
from the Service of Grand Duke Alexander Alexandrovitch, and
featuring his crowned monogram. Period of Alexander II (1855-1881).



Meissen porcelain bowl centered by polychrome fruits and flowers
and supported by three seated fauns with musical instruments, marked
with blue crossed swords under glaze
.


Meissen porcelain compote Circa 1902. Hand painted floral spray
centered by gilt encrusted trailing leaves.



Pair English Sterling Silver Repousse Compotes
hallmarked
Sheffield 1896, decorated with Fleur-de-Lys and flowers


Silver trio crane compote circa 1860-70. Marks of Sunshing
(S.S) and ideogram for Hui.



Samuel Felton silver compote circa 1865


19th century saw tooth milk glass compote


Porcelain Compote by Lenox


Blue & White Meissen set with matching compotes


Paris porcelain compotes with detached dish tray


mermaids porcelain compotes


12 comments:

ann said...

Beaux thank you for such a great lesson here.I bought a compote yesterday and didn't even know it was called that.shhhhhhhhhhh.I'll never tell...Ann

xinex said...

I love these compotes and I LOVE compotes. Thanks for showing me all these beauties. Love your flower arrangement. To prove how much I love compotes, please visit my blog at http://christineshomeandtraveladventures.blogspot.com/2009/02/glimpse-of-our-blue-sevres-and-meissen.html

Christine

Linda said...

Julio, thanks for the fab post. You have inspired me and now I better use some of my compotes more often and also look for them too. LOVE that one you got on Craigslist, oh gosh that is yummy! And well being the Queen I am I love the Russian Zarina (sp?) ones.
Totally fun informative post,thanks!
Linda Q

Tomarie said...

Love this post on compotes! I've been admiring your blog for a while now. The tablescape featured is as beautiful as I've ever seen! I'll be back! L~

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Beaux, it a pleasure to meet you. What a beautiful post on compotes. I too have a fondness for them. I'm truly inspired by your use of them.. thanks for sharing..
hugs ~lynne~

Glenda said...

Not enough time today to do justice to your site. I'm marking in favorites so that I can back for a closer look. Everything I've seen is one step above gorgeous.

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Wow, I never realized how versatile compotes are...I love the examples you showed! I always learn so much when I visit you blog! Now I'll be eyeing every compote I see...like I need another obsession! LOL :-) Susan

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Julio, thanks for swinging by.. your kind words and blog inspire me to move onwards and upwards..hope all is well with you..
hugs ~lynne~

Cote de Texas said...

ABSOLUTELY beautiful collection - I love the blue and white ones and the Old Paris!!!!!! wonderful! I use a small compote to hold my bathroom soap.

Paris Atelier said...

Fabulous! Fabulous! I thought I was the only one who had a weird affinity to compotier! I also have a crazy facination with cake stands, I just can't pass one up! I loved this post Julio! Perfection, as always!
Miss you my dear friend!
xoxox (what the hell does that mean in France!?! I still can't figure it out)
Judith~

Anonymous said...

Are you the owner of the Samuel Morse Felton compote now? Do you also have the other accompanying presentation silver, i.e. the swing handle cake basket, covered entree server and covered butter dish? If so, will you please indicate whether or not these items will be offered for sale.

Anonymous said...

Hi, I have the Dresden porcelain Compote circa 1872 exactly like yours posted here..my husband bought it in US 20 years ago. I wonder do you know the value of this. Was thinking of selling it off since we are shifting.
Thank you.