Wednesday, February 11, 2009

My Botanical Luncheon For Tablescape Thursday


Tablescape Thursday is a fun event created and hosted by Susan of Between Naps On The Porch. Susan herself is a master at setting dramatic and stunning tables. The event takes place every Thursday allowing those that enjoy putting together special table settings to participate and share the end result with everyone. Below are images of my dining room table which I decorated for a lunch theme I call "The Botanical Garden". Please be sure to visit Susan's blog to see more tablescapes.


I chose a spring/summer theme, to compensate for the
current weather conditions which have been wet and cold.


I thought it would be nice to create an ambiance that would
allow my guests to escape the gray rainy day season. Now,
if I could offer any advice on setting a memorable table, I
would encourage you to always think about
your table when traveling whether it's an international
or just a short get away weekend to a favorite
nearby destination. Table settings can not only be an
excellent way of sharing your travel finds with your guests,
but they also become conversation pieces for everyone
at the table.


To begin my theme, I brought in our wrought iron chairs
from the back yard to give it an outdoor garden feel.
I chose a light taupe chenille table cloth as my canvas
for the table. A great find at Target. The border has a beautiful
applique(like?) on the four corners. Perfect for our theme.


I then decided to use dry miniature topiaries as place card
holders. For these photos, I used my old business cards as a
stand in. I added a few creme porcelain birds taken from
the living room for a touch of wild life without the poop.


I already had in mind the dishes that would work best in
inspiring the botanical theme. I mixed 3 different patterns
just to add some interests.


The soup tureen was a housewarming gift from my partner
Dan's parents in 1994.


Lunch menu:
Salad: Mixed greens with apple and miso dressing
Soup: Asparagus
Entree: Broiled Salmon with roumalade sauce;
roasted baby red potatoes with fresh rosemary and
extra virgin olive oil and fresh pepper
Dessert: Coconut Cake


The Bohemian crystal stemware with the sterling silver band is
from Prague. You can find Bohemian crystal practically
everywhere in the Czech Republic. We purchased these at
a shop in Old Town square in 2000. For this event, our
guests will enjoy a splash of Limoncello from Positano,Italy.


Crystal and silver candle holders are by Waterford.


The champagne stemware with the double eagles head are made
of rock crystal and are from Saint Petersburg, Russia.
The water goblet is by Mikasa.


Champagne flute to the far left by Waterford.


The decorative pair of cream colored vases are from Ethan Allen
They compliment the soup tureen beautifully.


The dinner plate is a vintage porcelain by Havilland from
a flea market in Beauvais which is about 45 minutes outside
of Paris,France in 1998.
Unfortunately, all that was available were the dinner plates
(8) and salad/soup bowls(10).


Napkin rings from Nordstrom's home department. A great
addition to the botanical theme. Mr frog.


Mr. Turtle(ok, maybe not so botanical but still nice huh)


Queen Bee. The best deal on the table are the bread/salad plates
by I Godinger which create the perfect botanical theme.
I purchased those for $3.99 at my local Homegoods store.


Swinging on the chandelier to capture this aerial view just
for you.





Unobstructed aerial view. The center dinner plate is from Lenox.
It has a beautiful gold scroll pattern on the band edge.


Aerial view of the left end of the table.


An aerial view of the right end of the table.

Thank you for stopping by and I hope you enjoyed the pictures. Please feel free to leave me comment.

44 comments:

Pat@Back Porch Musings said...

Absolutely gorgeous!!

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Julio, Wow...this is positively stunning! How I would love to dine at this table! You have really picked up some beautiful pieces in your travels. Thanks for sharing all the info about the various pieces you have used. I love everything. The Waterford silver and crystal candleholders are gorgeous...as is the china! I love your botanical theme and love that you brought in the chairs from outside! Your photography is amazing...almost as good as being there. Ok, I'm going back again...can't quit looking at this gorgeous table! Julio, thanks for a great TT post! Susan P.S. Crazy aobut the tureen! :-)

Susan said...

Gorgeous table...love all the layers! Amazing!

Susan

Janie's World said...

Your table is very elegant and serene! There are so many things that I love it is hard to name just a few. Love the individual topiaries, the china, the crystal and I especially love the picture from above through the chandelier--so very creative.

The Bliss Journey said...

Julio, it is magnificent and OH so elegant. I love the napkin rings. I'm a huge fan of anything botanical.
Kathleen

prof en retraite said...

This is so beautiful! I love that you were able to use your wonderful finds from your travels...all gorgeous, by the way. And thanks so much for swinging from the chandelier to get those fabulous aerial views for us! lol ...Debbie

DEB said...

Just love your garden themed table!
Your china and crystal are beautiful and my favorite are those napkin rings. How cute!!!

Martha said...

A beautiful table -- love botanicals whether on the walls or on a tabletop.

Barb @ GritsandGlamour said...

I can't even begin to tell you how beautiful this tablesetting is, and also how lovely and welcoming your home looks. Ok, when is lunch served? Shall I bring the wine.
:-)

Mama said...

Gosh, you achieved exactly what you set out to do and that was create a stunning,summery, botanical ambience for your very lucky guests. This tablescape has to be one of the very best I have seen. I love that you used the wrought iron garden chairs and your world travel finds, which are so beautiful. I only have one negative thing to say and that is I am mad that I am not one of your guests :-). Kathy.

Kathleen Ellis said...

Absolutely elegant and beautifully appointed tablescape, Julio! I LOVE every detail! I love to pick up things for my table when I travel, too!
Happy Valentine's Day!
;D

santamaker said...

A feast for the eyes. Positively elegant yet with a little whimsy. Loving the napkin rings.

ceekay said...

Elegant table. I just love the little trees and the napkin rings...and well, the glasses also! You set a wonderful table..laughed at the swinging on chandelier....I will have to try that next time!!

Linda/ "Mom..." said...

*** I am SOOOO TOTALLY ENAMORED with your table this evening that I cannot THANK YOU enough, let alone "BREATHE NORMALLY", as I'm so thrilled! Your keen designer's eye & skills, coupled w/ the most fabulous flair & personal style, make this just BREATHTAKING!~~~ Then, mix in your tremendous, dry wit, which I find so VERY CHARMING & PRICELESS, add the STORIES behind some of your "finds" from your vast travels, and you have captured the imagination of everyone lucky enough to dine with you! Personally, I feel like I've just dined AT the best, WITH the best, and I thank you most SINCERELY! Warmly, Linda

Linda said...

Julio, Perfection!!
I am ready to come over as it says Spring to me. Love the Tureen, all the little touches like the napkin rings, birds, topiaries ( I like those about anywhere). And if those champagne flutes have crowns on them well then you just have to give them to me, LOL, as I am the Queen after all.
I am going to have to go look again, faaaabuulous darling!!
Linda Q

Diane said...

This is a gorgeous tablescape! I love your pictures. What kind of camera do you use? ☺ Diane

LdyDy Loves Cake said...

Very beautiful table...your china and other pieces are lovely. I enjoyed the soft creams against the green topary. You covered every detail!

Miss Janice said...

First, I would like to say thanks for swinging on that chandelier to give us a bird's eye view of the tablescape. This is awesome. I love the dinnerware, the crystal, the soup tureen, the topiaries, and the wrought iron-fleur de lis chairs--love those! Love your work!

Alisa Lucas-Brown said...

Julio,
What an absolutely drop-dead gorgeous table! I mean that! It is breathtaking. You have done an incredible job! I love everything about your Botanical Luncheon. My favorite things are the napkin rings - love 'em and the white serving pieces. Truly gracious, traditional living at its best! Kudos!
Warmly,
Alisa - Carolina Panache

JudyBug said...

Stunning! Everything is so beautiful. I have a "thing" for soup tureens and your's is just wonderful.

Maryrose said...

Gorgeous table. I loved everything and my special favorite was seeing your table from the chandeliers point of view. Just beautiful, thanks for sharing. Maryrose

ann said...

This is AWESOME.So elegant .It takes my breath away.And this is lunch?What do you do for dinner?wow.You win!Each week I pick a winner.It means nothing except maybe to you and to me.And you definitely are this weeks winner....Ann

Cami @ Creating Myself said...

I'm in awe over all the wonderful details. My favorite one? The wrought iron chairs brought in from outside.

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

I adore your centerpiece!

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of an english garden. I absolutely love this look.


Amy

Scribbler said...

One word -- FABULOUS!

Ellen

Peggy said...

Wowee! Thank you for taking me away from the snow and into a lovely green lunch table. I loved everything about it...the topiaries, the whimsical napkin rings, the glass and glow, the plates...I could go on and on! What a visual treat! Peggy from PA

Cass said...

Breathtaking! Such a serene color scheme that also sparkles. Brilliant.

I don't know how you got those "ceiling" shots but they amaze me. Wonderful post!

Cass

Kim Chalfant said...

Wow, wow, wow!!! I just love your tablescape! It is fabulous. I want to come to dinner! What a great table to make you forget about winter.

jerseygirl211 said...

WOW!!!!! What a fabulous table setting. You have gathered some beautiful pieces for a wonderful display of your talent. Thanks for sharing. I would have loved to join you in a glass of the Limoncello, it sure goes down well on a chilly day.;) Thanks for your visit to my place, it's my first time here, so I have to go check out some more of your talents .

Ciao
'D'

Penny said...

Decadant and Gorgeous!
Perfection!

Chari said...

Hello...

Just wanted to stop by to say thank you for visiting my tablescape Thursday post...and thank you for your very kind comments! Well, I must tell you, after viewing your fabulous "Botanical Luncheon" tablescape...I am truly humbled! Your fine table is evidence that you are a master!!! Your table is absolutely gorgeous and everything is...oh so perfect!!! I would like to add however, that I would have loved to see you getting that over-view shot from your chandelier! Hehe!!!

Your tablescape suggestions were as insightful as your tablescape was inspirational!

Warmest wishes...
Chari
PS...Oh yes, and I must mention how fabulous your dining room is! I was eyeing that painted cabinet/chest...and the wallpaper...oh my...it's to die for!!!

ellen b said...

Ok, this is a table fit for foreign dignataries or a Prince and Princess. So rich, so full, so beautiful. What wonderful pieces you have...
Can you tell I'm impressed!

Mary Ellen (megardengal) said...

Wow this is wonderful!!! You must have spent all day creating this gorgeous setting!

Blessings
mary

Barbara said...

Love the napkin rings

Trez said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the topiaries.

Lynne (lynnesgiftsfromtheheart) said...

Oh this is one gorgeous table. I love all the toparies..your crystal is amazing... love the whimiscal touch of your napkin rings..Thanks for sharing an inspirational tablescape..
hugs ~lynne~

imjacobsmom said...

Julio, this is a stunning table! The effort you put forth is outstanding! All of the touches, from the poopless little porcelain birds, your gorgeous tureen, the topiaries, and of course your china and stemware! Did I mention that the bees - darling! Thanks for sharing this with us! ~ Robyn

redsoxmom said...

Stunning! Simple, elegant, mood transforming--everything a tablescape should be. I love the idea of incorporating the different pieces from your travels. Great for conversation and great memories, I'm sure. Thanks so much for sharing!

Fifi Flowers said...

Sooooo romantic!

Terri and Bob said...

This just sings to my soul! Is it because I want spring to come? I love everything!

Dream Mom said...

Very nice.

I love the idea of adding to the conversation by using pieces from your travels. I also love the Nordstrom napkin rings.

Life with L said...

Elegance, Glamour and glitz. this is absolutely fabulous! I can appreciate your world travels to pick up some interesting and divine piece. Isn't Home Goods wonderful? Your napkins rings are a showstopper. What's not to love. Every detail is waiting for all of us to look at in awe. I love it all. Thank you for sharing and I am now a follower. I too live in Northern Calif.

jo said...

As lovely as this table is, and it is stunning, I would give anything and I mean anything, to see you swinging across the room on the chandeliere. lol.

Fantastic table my friend, I think you are so very clever. Every element of this table is devine!

Jo