Wednesday, January 4, 2012

The Piano

One of the items on my wishlist for 2012(hopefully before the fall/winter holiday season) is a baby grand piano.  Aside from being a terrific musical instrument, pianos can add grandeur and sophistication to any setting.
Kathleen Burke Design  living room
   I have always wanted a grand piano but since neither Papa Dan or I know how to play(or are patient enough to learn at this point), I couldn't justify buying one since they aren't cheap. Luckily, our little guy shows an interest in learning after seeing his cousin play.
Sue De Chiaras home contemporary living room
We have a few neighbors and friends whom I consider music aficionados who have convinced me that it's never too late to learn for us and that having the instrument in the house will make him feel like it is part of his home and he will not be intimidated to learn when he is old enough to take lessons.
Modern living room with Asian Accents - a third view with Baby Grand piano modern living room
I  love the thought of hosting a cocktail party with guests surrounding the piano playing and signing their favorite tunes.
Family Room contemporary living room
Or, a cabaret theme party where the guests entertain us with their favorite jazz,loung or torch song.
Wolfram-Living Room traditional living room
Of course, I also imagine  my decorating the home for the holidays and family and  friends gathering around the piano to  play and sing carols.
Here is our future pianist approaching the bench in a neighbor's living room.
This is the rear foyer of our home where I plan to replace the center round table with a piano.    The 2 slipper chairs,leather armchair(corner right) and desk(corner left) you see in this space will also be removed to allow for more room.


     What to consider when purchasing a piano (click here)                      


9 comments:

The enchanted home said...

Your home is sooo exquisite, its screaming for a piano, lol (tell your husband I said that). I agree they are so pretty and do add a sense of grandeur to any home, but to a home like yours it will just enchance the grand elegant beauty that is already there!! Good luck....and happy playing!

Chlvie said...

A piano will be a beautiful addition to this room. I too love baby grands, I think they are so amazing and sophisticated. I will be anxious to see the afters!

Good luck with your search.

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Oh I was lucky to receive a baby grand as a gift from a girl friend who was moving away. We tucked it into our living room and it is very nice. I wish i knew how to play though~your piano will look amazing under that chandy in that gorgeous room!

Paisley Curtain said...

It is never late to learn to play a musical instrument. I am learning to read sheet music these days "from my daughter" :) since i want to learn to play cello.

As far as a piano is concerned, they look so grand sitting in any space. A friend of ours have a baby grand Steinway from 1911 which turned 100 last year. They both don't play but love their piano, and it is a conversation piece too.

I think it is a good investment too.

Charlotte Clarke said...

I would love to learn how to play the piano; it's so sophisticated and romantic -And gives a gorgeous new dimension to any room! Good luck :)

Teresa at Splendid Sass said...

I have always wanted a baby grand! hen I would have to retake piano lessons, but why not? These images are beautiful.
Hav e anise day.
Teresa
xoxo

ruediger benedikt said...

i love this blog, let-s hope that we can still enjoy reading it throught the new year, it is very inspiring and you always learn somehing, especially in my daily work as an interior designer i very much like to see the talent from other people,
http://www.ruedigerbenediktshopping.com/english/

HRH The Duchess of State said...

Grandeur indeed dahhling!

Clare Christine said...

I just happened upon your blog today and I love it!! Your pictures are fabulous...and I love the idea of having a piano. I hope to have one when I live independently of my parents (and a college dorm room). My mom and dad have a baby grand in our living room and it really does make the room! I hope you have a wonderful week!
Toodles,
Twirling Clare
http://twirlingclare.blogspot.com/