Sunday, November 8, 2009

Howards Blend


I had to have these images of designer Howard Slatkin's New York City apartment on my blog to enjoy the view from time to time. If you are not already aware of it, these photos of Slatkin's apartment along with the "before" images were featured in the October 20th issue of New York magazine. The minute I saw the first picture, I thought of the Russian palaces in St. Petersburg. Low and behold, when I read the captions I learned there were Russian influences abound! I also thought of Tony Duquette's sumptuous interiors.

Slatkin's ability to blend and/or layer so many textures,patterns and colors together in such a harmonious fashion is amazing. I love the blue and white delft tiles on the walls and ceiling with the beautiful floors that replicate those in a seventeenth-century Dutch painting.

This is the library with the bathroom in the back. The floors are a marquetry pattern Slatkin saw at the Charlottenburg palace in Berlin. He had them installed by hand by Russian artisans.

The beautiful collection of porcelain birds on the Louis XVI and Regency wall sconces are Chinese exports that Slatkin inherited from his grandmother. To see more photos and the complete article by Wendy Goodman, visit New York magazine online.

5 comments:

columnist said...

Sumptuous indeed!

Laura in Texas said...

What a dream space. I can see why you're fascinated with this home. It's a work of art.

Tristan Robin Blakeman said...

I want to live in these rooms - I want to touch everything and enjoy them as beautiful items, not treasures and museum pieces.

geesh

here I am

St. Petersberg palace taste and an Ikea budget.

Linda Q said...

Oh my goodness, totally amazing!!!
I love the tours you take us on, thanks.
Linda Q

Gregory R.Olmo said...

I think this is among the most important info for me. And i'm glad reading your article. But wanna remark on few general things, The web site style is great, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers
Borg Warner S26038 Clutch Starter Safety Switch