Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Who Is Clare Fraser?


I mean, literally, who is Clare Fraser and how did she get my life?
One of the reasons I love Google is its ability to introduce me to people,places or things I never knew existed. I suppose that's just the world wide web altogether. Nevertheless, in this case, I entered the keyword "Gracie Wallpaper" and the result surprised and delighted me. One of the links that came up was the New York Social Diary which is one of my favorite reads. That link led me to a 2007 NYSD House archive story, Decorator Series ,featuring Clare Fraser. Talk about the "WOW" factor. I was so taken back by her amazing home. I hope I don't sound like an out of touch lover of interior design, but I have never heard of this woman. In fact, after drooling over the pictures of her home, I attempted to find more information online about this amazingly talented woman called "Lady Decorator" by the NYSD interviewer, I came up blank. All I learned is that she has been in the design industry for over 30 years with a business partner by the name of "Barbara". In addition, she's participated in the popular Kips Bay Decorator Showhouse , a benefit for the Kips Bay boys & girls club . Whoever this woman is, she is living in my dream home and is someone I would love to meet and let know how much I love her work. Below are images(photographs by Jeffrey Hirsch) taken from NYSD House:

Clare in her favorite corner of the sitting room.

In the front hall a gilded wood and marble Louis XV hall table was purchased at Sotheby’s. The silk damask cover chairs are from Matthew Schutz and a pair of wall sconces, also from Matthew Schutz, once belonged to Otto Kahn’s daughter.

A view of the dining room from the foyer. The stenciled dining room floors are by Mark Giglio.

A Regency portrait from Stair and Co. dominates the rear wall of the dining room. The painted dining room chairs are Portuguese copies of English Hepplewhite ballroom chairs. The dining room table was a Russian officer’s travel table.

In the corner of the library a portrait inherited from Clare’s mother. Sitting upon the coffee table from Florian Papp is working copy of a larger sculpture entitled‘Jonas the Whale’ by Swedish sculptor Carl Milles.

View of the pine-paneled library

A view of the living room. The Louis XV clock above the fireplace mantle was purchased from Matthew Schutz. Two 18th Dutch flower paintings bought in Stockholm hang on the mirrored walls.

A pair of Louis XVI chairs are covered in celadon silk from Scalamandre. French brûle parfum jars stand atop the marble fireplace mantel.

Looking across the living room into the library.

A 17th century Italian landscape, which was inherited from Clare’s parents, hangs above the living room couch. One of a pair of Fu dogs standing on a gilt bracket was purchased at The Winter Antiques Show. The Chinese coffee table from Mrs. MacDougall was part of a screen.

In the bedroom hall, silver lined, faux painted panels and trompe l’oeil blue and white porcelain plates painted by Mark Giglio, along with real plates, are reflected in an18th French mirror purchased in San Francisco.

Looking down the bedroom hallway

A painted country Swedish chair sits beneath blue and white plates in the bedroom hall.

In the corner of the sitting room, a bookcase is filled with leather book fronts.

Clare wrapped the master bedroom in this favorite blue and white print fabric from Country Swedish.

Above the bed by hangs a Danish portrThis is ait of a lady bought at a Doyle auction. The pair of faux painted bedside commodes, originate from Sweden.Okay, this bedroom is what took me over the top. I don't care how feminine anyone says this bedroom looks, I would be one proud 6' foot 220lbs man sleeping in this fabulous oasis.



5 comments:

Bill said...

Hello, Julio. I feel that Ms. Fraser should vacate the place immediately and send you the keys!
It would seem that she's lived there long enough, wouldn't it?

From what we've seen of your home in previous posts, you already inhabit an amazingly beautiful environment. Perhaps we should re-think the eviction of Ms. Fraser.

I hope someone sees your post who knows her and passes on the lovely tribute!

Regards,
Bill

ArchitectDesign™ said...

Wow, I could move right in too -what a beautiful apartment! All of the materials are just amazing and so luxe!

xinex said...

Hi Julio! I was drooling over your pictures, just my kind of house and decor!...Christine

ross said...

If you want quality Wood Dining Room Furniture , then visit spacify.com.

Anonymous said...

Good post and Smart Blog
Thanks for your good information and i hope to subscribe and visit my blog Articles2day.Org and more Briefing the Agency thanks again admin