Sunday, August 23, 2009

Metamorphosis Mondays

Meta what?????? Metamorphosis Monday!!! The fantastic brainchild of Susan, creator of Between Naps On The Porch, a terrific blog that has gained great success largely due to Susan's uniquely creative mind. For more exciting metamorphosis projects, click on the butterfly image above. Or, visit Between Naps On The Porch.

The following images are of the "Before" look of the rear exterior.


It is our new family room with a new master suite directly on top. The project broke ground in June 2007 and was completed by January 2008. Both sets of french doors lead into the new family room.

The fireplace you see is double sided.

The fireplace's exterior glass thickness maintains the heat indoors but we get to enjoy
the gas flames outdoors.


The next set of images are the "After" look of the rear exterior.

The gray and black striped fabric for the awnings are by Sunbrella. The awnings were created and installed by Janak & Scurfield Awnings, a locally owned family business in the midtown area of Sacramento.

The black wrought iron furniture were purchased about 8 years ago from the Bombay Company which no longer operates in the U.S. What I really love about these pieces is the fact that we managed to get all the pieces for a steal of a deal. The entire set was on an 80% clearance price.

Although the iron itself is great quality, the pieces were sold un-assembled with hardware(standard phillips screws and bolts) unequipped to hold the heavily weighted iron together. Bombay company received numerous complaints about the defective hardware forcing them to discontinue selling the item. I made sure they could be reinforced with welding before I purchased them. A good acquaintance of mine managed one of the Bombay stores and always gave me "insider" tips. Based on his advice, we visited 3 different stores to grab the remaining 6 arm chairs and 4 chaise lounges. 1 location was a 45 minute drive but for me, it was worth it. Then, we had a welder re-inforce them and viola...perfect backyard furniture!

The plants in the large urns are climbing hydrangeas. I elected these for the exterior wall becasue it faces north and only gets partial sun. Iron-man(our good friend the welder) is creating 2 custom designed black wrought iron trellis's that will be affixed to the wall to replace the current temporary wood trellis in the photo. Our goal is to encourage the hydrangeas to climb up and above the awnings to capture the look and feel of places we visited in Europe.

The outdoor area rug is from Frontgate.

The market umbrella is from ZGallerie. The black and white toss pillows from Target.
The area with the 2 chaise lounge is actually un-finished. It's currently covered with black rubber interlocking mats to cover the dirt that make it play friendly for our 2 year old son. We o recently decided upon a definite design for this area. Originally, we wanted sod. In researching, we learned that because of the mature trees that cover this area with shade, sod would be difficult to maintain since it will not receive adequate sun exposure. So, we then considered artificial turf.

After picking our jaws off the sod showroom floor after hearing the costs, we decided to extend the stamped concrete to the rest of this area and continue the look of a container garden courtyard.

A close up of the window boxes by Sean Conway for Target stores we added to the upstairs rear and side windows. I accented the boxes with gold medallions which tie in nicely with the accessories below.

A closeup of the Fleur de lys spear tips on the awning rods that we had painted metallic gold.

More metallic gold accents on the chairs. I just went crazy with spray paint.

A stone sconce found at a local antique store. I love the details on this piece. If I were a sconce, this is what I hope I would look like. In fact, it earned a "pardon" from my gold metallic spray paint because it was grand enough on its own.

22 comments:

Susan (Between Naps on the Porch) said...

Julio...these pics make me breathless...it's gorgeous! I LOVE the two side fireplace! I'd love to see a shot of it from inside, too...what a brilliant idea! Awesome deal on your furniture! I love the style of the chairs...they are so nice and large and the detailing of the backs are really nice. This is such an amazing transformation! Did you live out there all summer? I know I would have! Now you can enjoy it this Fall with the fireplace. :-) Thanks for sharing this beautiful addition for Met Monday! Susan

Marsha's Mpressions said...

What a change! It is really beautiful!

Shelia said...

Oh, my, what a beautiful sight. The two sided fireplace is marvelous. Love the awnings and the new paint color. It's just beautiful and thank you for sharing.
Be a sweetie,
Shelia ;)

Mary said...

Julio, I feel like I've walked into a French countryside estate! Everything is outstandingly beautiful...a most amazing transformation! You have to hate leaving home...I could stay out there all day...and all night! Gorgeous!!!

Mary

Terry said...

I know your sconce if very proud of you. Glad you mentioned welding. One of my favorite design experience was at a big, dirty metalshop. They treated me like a king even for my tiny little project: made a bench out of a table.

xinex said...

Your transformation of your outdoor area is just amazing, Julio! Soooo pretty!...Christine

Pam @ This Humble House said...

Your patio is breath-taking! I love the striped awnings and black & gold color scheme! Great deal on the furniture, it looks fabulous! Thanks for showing all the details!

~ ~ Ahrisha ~ ~ said...

Absolutely Stunning transformation!
Jaw dropping.
I have been toying with the idea of awnings across the back of the house. It faces west and the sun beats down on the sunroom making it unbearable It gets so hot that awnings might assist in a cooler atmosphere. You just sold me.
~ ~Ahrisha~ ~

MaryBeth said...

I just can't get over how fabulous you are making this project. Love every single thing. MB

Cheri Peoples said...

This is amazing. You guys did a terrific job. It is so lovely and inviting.
I hope you will come over and check out this weeks Knock off and I bet you have some things you could postto the KNOCK OFF KNOCK OUT Party .

Cheri
Its So Very Cheri

arkie said...

Just beautiful! I have never seen a fireplace like that one. Love all the details you showed.

marty39 said...

Gorgeous. I love the exterior with the wonderful awnings and the fabulous outdoor room you have created. Everything is simply gorgeous. Hugs, Marty

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Just awesome...Don't you love ca. where you can use your out side space most of the year...Loved the furniture and those awings...but what made my heart skip a beat was the fireplace...how cool is that...Just beautiful girl loved it all...Hugs and smiles Gl♥ria

Wendy said...

What a transformatioN!

Jane (Frugal Fine Living) said...

WOW! This is just amazing! I love the double-sided fireplace. The furniture and rug are just beautiful, and the striped awnings really pop next to the earthy color of the house. The antique sconce is fabulous!

Jane

Linda Q said...

Julio, so in envy of your outdoor space, it is stunning. Just what I would love, colors, patterns and all. And the two sided fireplace, wow! Great space for entertaining or just relaxing.
Thanks for sharing it with us!
Linda Q
Hey, go by my blog, I am going chocolate brown in our masterbed room and bath and am loving it!

laurie @ bargain hunting said...

WOW! What a wonderful transformation! And what beautiful details. I loved seeing this. laurie

Karen at Nittany Inspirations said...

Wow! This is so beautiful. It looks like a European villa. I want my back yard to be like this when it grows up. I have a very shady back yard, too. Grass is not growing under the large maple tree. Is there a drainage problem with all the paving?

The Elegant Thrifter said...

Julio,

Thank you for stopping by. How I love the transformation you've shared! Makes me want to book a trip to the French countryside right now.

Stan

Kelee Katillac said...

Absolutely Fabulous Julio!! What a great change!

Gorgeous design -congratulations!

Stop by... love kelee

Bill said...

Hello, Julio. Everything you've done here is stunningly beautiful! Whenever I stop by your blog, I'm always impressed with your taste, talents, and creative ingenuity.

Thank you so much for your visits and thoughtful comments. I'm always glad to hear from you.

Warmest regards,
Bill

Jessica said...

Looking to modernise your Home with some new and stylish European Furniture Spacify has everything you need.