Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Log Cabin Update

Initially, our goal was to move in furniture and accessories by June.  Unfortunately,we may not be doing this until later.  The good news is that after weeks of meeting with numerous contractors in the area, we found one that we really like and we hired him.   Mike Casso, owner of Russian River Construction came highly recommended by Dax and Smitty , local owners of the antique store named Sonoma Nesting Company .  Of course, we met  them while visiting their shop looking for items for the cabin.  I found a beautiful large convex mirror(shown below on the design board)which I think will look perfect in the cabin.

When we had the carpet and other flooring in the cabin removed several weeks back, we found asbestos tiles underneath. This created a problem and setback as we learned that many flooring companies are prohibited by California EPA law to install flooring over asbestos since it has been deemed to cause Mesothelioma.
 
 The tiles needed to be removed before any new flooring could be installed.  Once we found someone to remove the tile, dry rot was discovered on the original/sub floor. Another set back.  Now, this floor needs to be repaired and covered with an entirely new sub floor.

  The perfectly round hole you see in the wall(above photo) on the right of the archway to the french doors previously housed the pipe to an old wood burning stove we removed.

We have finally started the bathroom demo this week.  Below are the images sent to us by our contractor Mike.

Check out the redwood logs on the wall!  These make us think the bathroom was an outhouse accessed by exiting the cabin and entering through an outside door.

This is the design board for the cabin's great room with the exception of the 4 chairs in the center which will go in the new dining room.  The only items on the board that I do not have at this time are the leather ottoman,wall sconces and french empire chandelier. Most of the pieces are coming from our main residence.  My hoarding obsession came in handy.  The empire chandelier I want has 21 lights and weighs 100lbs.  However, if we keep finding repair problems with this renovation which impacts my fixture budget, I may end up with just a light bulb up there.
I just purchased this pair of mid century lamps this past weekend for $100.00 from an estate sale.  I'm thinking a green or red tartan plaid fabric lamp shade would work nicely with the "Ralph Lauren" style interiors I have planned.   I am going to attempt to another DYI to see if I can fabric the lamp shades myself.  If not, there is an online company called Fenchel Shades that will custom make the shades with the fabric of my choice and specifications for about $65.00 a shade...ouch...Hopefully, I can do it myself and save $130.00.

11 comments:

Entertaining Women said...

So much renovation money always seems to go where it will be unseen....the end result will be worth all the effort, I'm certain. Thanks for giving us a peak. I'm so excited to see the journey! Happy Easter! Cherry Kay

MaryBeth said...

You know what they say, twice as long and twice as much.
You will have the most glamourous log cabin ever.

The Sewing Loft said...

Love the selections you have made, and can't wait to see the progress.

Barb :)

The Sewing Loft said...

Love the selections you have made, and can't wait to see the progress.

Barb :)

vignette design said...

I am living vicariously through you Julio! Designing a log cabin in the woods is my dream. You must be so excited. Love your selections, it's all going to be so fantastic! I wish you could just lay new hardwood over your subfloor though. Darn dry rot! ~Delores

Paisley Curtain said...

It is some very fortunate people whose renovation projects go smooth without surprises, not us :)

But I can visualize a very sophisticated cabin when all is said and done.

best wishes

Maria said...

We are in the middle of changing the floors in the main floor of our house, and, we've also seen the expense grow unexpectedly. There have been a few snags. Hang in there, your cottage will be gorgeous and the work will be forgotten soon.

Janie's World said...

Julio, you have opened my eyes to a whole new log cabin design. I would have never thought in a million years to make it so traditional chic. LOVE it. I hope it all comes in under budget!!!

Table Escapes said...

Julio, love your cabin project...we have a cabin in the mountains for our weekend retreats..it is country French with the emphasis on country...it can get pricey!! I know what you mean by possibly having to hang a lightbulb!! Your board is Gorgeous with the emphasis on Gorgeous!!

Love your movie nights...I watch every last episode...
Love your blog.., Sharon

Anonymous said...

Love the design board. Cannot wait for the big reveal.

Anonymous said...

I am laughing a bit here as I own the other log cabin just down the street from you. We bought it last september. I love Ralph Lauren's Indian Cove lodge look and am using that as the basis for my decorating plans. It is similar to the ornate look and rich colors from your design board. Nice to see your thoughts as I am on a similar path! Hope to say "hi" in person soon.