Sunday, October 10, 2010

Thank You



A tremendous heartfelt thanks to you Delores, Julienne,Judith,Allie & Pattie,D.B. & Gloria.

I was extremely emotional at the time I uploaded that post after learning about the loss of these young boys lives. I personally connected to this tragic story growing up. I recall being fearful and hopeless about any future because of my eventual awakening and acceptance of who I am and how the community around me viewed me. There were several times where the thought of suicide crossed my mind. Fortunately, for me the strength of my family's love allowed me to sustain with hope that "it get's better". Thankfully, now at the age of 48 years old, I have been with a wonderful life partner for going on 20 years together. We now have a beautiful bright and healthy son. Life is more beautiful than I had imagined as a young adolescent. Please encourage any young individual who you know whom you suspect maybe a victim of bullying that life does get better.

4 comments:

Allie and Pattie said...

And he is one lucky and blessed little boy! I have a son who has dealt with bullying for a couple of years and it's been heartbreaking to watch. Schools and parents NEED to be more proactive and children need to know that they are worthy, loved and that we will protect them.
xoxo Pattie

ArchitectDesign™ said...

While I never considered suicide, due to a loving family no doubt, I was bullied as well but what young gay boy (or girl) was not? These truly heartbreaking stories make one wonder just how much progress has been made in the past few years when we pride ourselves so much on becoming a more accepting society. Perhaps the silver lining is we are accepting enough to allow these stories to be in mainstream media? Here's hopes for a brighter, more tolerant future.

vignette design said...

I am sorry Julio that you had to endure so much pain as an adolescent. It's hard enough growing up without having to deal with bullying.
On Saturday I attended a luncheon in our Asti neighborhood. The subject of teen suicide was much discussed as most of the couples were gay. One gentleman who is 71 years old said he was so fortunate to have loving, accepting parents and in-laws, making his life with his partner of 45 years an absolute joy. We all need to be more tolerant of one another.

Scribbler said...

I am so happy that you overcame what must have been a very exasperating time in your life as a young man. I honestly don't understand why some people feel that they have to choose the life path for everyone else. I understand the pain on many levels because I have been on the planet quite a while, and the older I get, the more tolerant I become. I live in an area where a lot of public "servants" try to legislate morality. We cannot even buy a bottle of wine or beer on Sunday because all the fundamentalists think we will all go straight to hell! We are all born to be who we are, and we should be allowed to live our lives accordingly.